So, right now, my main publisher, Dark Regions Press (via Written Backwards) is running an Indiegogo campaign for three upcoming anthologies: Return of the Old Ones: Apocalyptic Lovecraftian Horrors; You, Human; and The Children of Gla’aki: A Tribute to Ramsey Campbell’s Great Old One. My upcoming collection, Bones Are Made to be Broken, is a perk, along with Stephanie M. Wytovich’s first novel The Eighth (I’ve read her poetry and I can’t wait to see this, and Marc Levinthal’s Other Music.
It’s weird being part of a campaign. I’ve never been, as they say (loftily). Hell, I’ve never backed a campaign–not because I haven’t come across really awesome things in the past, but because, when you have a kid, any spare cash goes to him or her.
Because of this, the whole process has been an education for me–how it works, how it’s made, how it’s marketed. I had to have my editor break it down for me over a series of days as to how it all works and the dude, the ever-reliable Michael Bailey (I’ve, uh, mentioned him a few times on here before), is still answering my periodic questions about the whole thing.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice. People are seeing the book, backing the campaign, picking up the perks. Michael calls this the “pre-pre-order” of Bones, which almost makes sense, but since I’m a kinda babe in the woods on this whole thing, doesn’t (I have a pre-order page, but it links to the Indiegogo campaign).
But, if you’re like me, it can be a little confusing if you’re looking for the perks only. A few people over the past few days have told my wife or me (or both) that they’ve gotten hung up in the midst of pre-ordering my book (or they’re coming up with really bitching reasons to get out of buying the book, but I’m an optimist). Because of this, here are the steps to get either my book, or Stephanie’s book, or Marc’s book (or, hell, splurge and get all three):
- On the Indiegogo page, you see the BACK IT button, but ignore that for now. Scroll down the page.
- On the right side of the page, you have a series of PERKS. You can pre-order my book from three of these:
a. If you select “Trade Paperback 2” ($22), you can select either my book BONES ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN, Stephanie M. Wytovich‘s THE EIGHTH, or Marc Levinthal‘s OTHER MUSIC in trade paperback/eBook. These are the pre-orders for those books, essentially.
b. If you select “BUNDLE – Paperbacks + eBooks 2”, you get ALL of the perk books, plus the three main anthologies (I have a story in one of them).
c. If you select “Choose Your Deluxe 2”, you can pick up a signed, slipcase hardcover edition of the three perk books (again – me, or Stephanie, or Marc).
- Pick one of those Perks and click it.
- You’ll be taken to the payment page, asking for name, mailing address, and billing information. Yes, it’s kinda counter-intuitive to give payment info before making your information. Took me a minute, too. Bear with me. Fill out that, and click “Submit Payment.”
- In a “post-campaign survey”, you’ll confirm which book you want (in my case, BONES ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN; in Steph’s case, THE EIGHTH; in Marc’s case OTHER MUSIC)
- That’s it. You’ve pre-ordered my book. Congrats. Thanks! Give me your money.
And, again, here’s that Indiegogo campaign link, ’cause I want it to do well.